Saturday, June 8, 2013

"Camera Bag" and Camera Strap Wrap Tutorial

So, I bought a new camera the other day and I love it!  I have been thinking for some time that I need to make a camera bag.  Now I have two Canon cameras and a telephoto lens that I want to carry around and I had nothing that they would fit in.  I have looked at the stores for a bag, but they start at $50 and go up and I have not found one that I really liked.  For a temporary solution, so I can travel with my cameras and accessories, I did this:

It is a 16 can Coleman cooler bag that I added padding to.  Everything fits and it was less than $20.  When I do eventually get around to making the "perfect" camera bag, I can convert it back to a cooler!

I really wanted to make a strap cover for my new camera....and the old one too.  I love all the great tutorials out there on the internet, but I didn't want to have to undo my strap to put the cover on.  I often am out on hot, sunny days shooting pictures and I wanted to be able to easily remove the cover and wash it.  Sooo... I made a strap wrap!

Here's how I did it:

For a strap that is 2 in. wide by 24 in. long....standard Canon strap that will go just to the top of the black vinyl that attaches to the web strap.  I may make the next one a little longer..maybe 26".  You can measure and decide what works for you.

Cut 1 piece decorative fabric 6 1/2  in x 24 in.
Cut 1 piece of lining fabric 6 1/2 in. x 24 in.
Cut 1 piece of batting 6 1/2 in x 24 in.

You will also need a velcro strip approximately 22 in.

Take the hook side of the velcro and center it lengthwise and set in from the side about 1/2 in on the lining piece.  I use a glue stick to temporarily hold it in place so that I can sew it.

Once the velcro strip is sewn in place, layer your pieces.  Lay the lining face up (the side with the velcro strip).  Next lay the decorative fabric face down on top of the lining piece. (so they are right sides together).  Last lay the batting on top of the decorative fabric.

Sew around all side using a 1/4 in. seam allowance and leave and opening approximately 6 in. for turning.

Trim the corners at an angle so there is less bulk.

Turn right side out and press.  Press the opening with raw edges turned under.

Topstitch around all sides. This will also close the opening.

Align the loop portion of the velcro 1/2 in. from the side and centered on top of the decorative fabric.  This is done on the side opposite of the hook tape that was sewn to the lining.  Again I used the glue stick to hold it while I sewed it down.

Here is another picture so you can see clearly how the two velcro strips are placed.  This is the cover folded back on itself just for illustration purposes.

The "strap wrap" is now complete and ready to be attached.  

I attach mine with the velcro side toward my neck.   I wondered if the velcro would be stiff and uncomfortable and I am happy to say it is not!  Definitely get the sewn in kind though because I think it is softer.  

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

My latest finished project!

This is a "stash buster" that I started because I wanted a hand project when we went on an Alaska cruise last September.  It is hand quilted using the "quilt as you go" method and everything but the binding was something I already had.  Hooray for that....I have waayy more stuff than I have time to use.  But it is such good "stuff". You know what I mean.

Of course I had lots of help.  J, our black cat, decided that this quilt made a great "cat cave" as it hung off the end of the ironing board while I was putting on the binding.

They both really seemed to like this quilt as they were on it every chance they could get.  Lucky I was keeping it because I don't let them near quilts I make for others.

Really enjoyed this process and probably will incorporate it into other quilts I make, because I actually finished this one.  I think it was because I could sit with my husband and work on it in the evenings while we watched TV.

On to other projects! D

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Photo Frame

I know it has been a long, long time since I have updated this blog. Now that I have internet access on the same computer that I have my photo editing software I think it will be a little easier. Anyway, I am going to try again to be more regular.

My latest creation I made today for our Relay for Life team to sell at an upcoming fundraising craft fair. I though it would be cute in a little girl's room. I saw this idea here a while ago and have been meaning to try it. Here is the blog link where I got the idea:

Here is my version:

My husband (who is my expert adviser) and I decided the pink flower was just right since this was for a Relay for Life event.

Here is another one of my "expert advisers" although I had to keep him from knocking the frame down while I was shooting the picture:

All of the items above came out of my stash. I am making a concerted effort to use some of my collection since it has reached the point where I have no more room. Time to move things out instead of bringing more in. There is some consolation that I am not alone in this particular seems to be part of the artsy personality. We just can't help it when we say..."Wait, I can make something from that".

Hope you are having an inspiration filled day!